Before all the hoopla of today unfolded, my intent was to try to figure out whom the Packers would draft, or at least narrow it down to a few prospects. However, since most are now aware the Packers are willing (and hopefully able) to move on from Aaron Rodgers, it shouldn’t impact their draft one iota.
There are a couple of positions that would make sense for the Packers to take should the appropriate player be available. As I covered last year, rookies aren’t difference-makers for Super Bowl champions. However, the closest to that have been offensive lineman. Most recently, Tristan Wirfs, from Iowa and seems to be an awesome player and will be for a long time. Bryan Bulaga was similar…so maybe OL from Iowa are the key in the 1st round? Robert Gallery, epic bust, disproves that, however offensive line might be the best value.
Many of the mocks (experts) have Green Bay taking a Wide Receiver, yet there’s plenty of more value to be had elsewhere. Possibly at Linebacker or Cornerback. Here are some of the names to keep an eye on…
- Rondale Moore – WR Purdue (although Green Bay doesn’t draft smaller WRs)
- Rashod Bateman – WR Minnesota
- Kadarius Toney – WR Florida
- Elijah Moore – WR Ole Miss (see comment by Rondale Moore)
- Alijah Vera-Tucker – OL USC
- Alex Leatherwood – OL Alabama
- Wyatt Davis – OL Ohio St.
- Jalen Mayfield – OL Michigan
- Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah – LB Notre Dame
- Zaven Collins – LB Tulsa
- Jamin Davis – LB Kentucky
- Asante Samuel Jr. – CB Florida St.
- Jaycee Horn – CB So. Carolina
- Jaelan Phillips – Edge Rusher Miami (Fla.)
I’m guessing Zaven Collins or Jamin Davis. Collins can rush the passer and Davis can cover. Both are areas of need, yet can’t have enough of either. I’m guessing Collins due to his athleticism coupled with pass rushing abilities. Getting off the field on 3rd down is key in the NFL, and pass rush is possibly the most important…rookies can have somewhat of an impact too when teamed up with other good pass rushers.