While most (if not all) Packer fans are pissed, there’s one question that group fails to answer: When was the last rookie to be a major contributor to a Super Bowl Winner? Did any of these players contribute in a major way to their teams’ Super Bowl Championship?
- 2019 Chiefs: Mecole Hardman- nice player, wasn’t a position of need
- 2018 Patriots: Sony Michel- nice player, wasn’t a position of need
- 2017 Eagles: Derek Barnett- 5.0 sacks that season, 1.0 postseason sacks- thank you Nick Foles
- 2016 Patriots: Cyrus Jones???
- 2015 Broncos: Shane Ray?
- 2014 Patriots: Jimmy G…helped start 2-0 while Brady was suspended…not a position of need
- 2013 Seahawks: no one
- 2012 Ravens: Courtney Upshaw- nice player…
- 2011 Giants: Prince Amukamara—nice player, not major factor
- 2010 Packers: Bryan Bulaga—major contributor, due to injury (Tauscher hurt)…also best available
So while many be upset with Jordan Love, his upside is tough to ignore. Listen, this is the draft to get fat on Wide Receivers, and considering the top tier was pretty much taken just before the 26th pick shows Green Bay was worried someone else was going to snag the last, best remaining QB.
The one player remaining that I still struggle to grasp is Grant Delpit- S from LSU. However, there are plenty of players available with extreme value remaining and as long as Green Bay continues to follow the “Draft the best available,” that will likely play out best for the organization.